Back to the Railroads of the Illinois Central System

Peabody Short Line

History

    The interurban line E. St. Louis & Suburban Railway was abandoned in 1932.  One of its subsidiaries was the St. Louis & Belleville Electric Railway which survived and was dieselized in 1949.  Peabody Coal Company acquired the StL&BE in 1956 from the Union Electric Company of St. Louis.  It renamed it Peabody Short Line in December of 1958.  The Illinois Central Railroad acquired stock control in 1960, and merged it in August of 1961.  Most of the line, from the River King Mine #1 to a connection with the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis at E. St. Louis, duplicated the ICís Du Quoin to E. St. Louis line.  Consequently most of the original line was abandoned, except for a short piece near the mine.  The rest has since been abandoned.

Map

Built: 

 Unknown

Admitted: 

 1960

Fate: 

 Abandoned

Dedicated Links:

 None Known

Source  

Back to the Railroads of the Illinois Central System