Back to the Railroads of the Illinois Central System

Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway

History

   The Peoria, Decatur & Evansville Railway traces its history back to at least 1857.  However, it was not until 1870 that 18 miles of track was laid by the Pekin, Decatur & Lincoln Railway between Pekin and Delavan Illinois.  The PD&L acquired the Decatur, Sullivan & Mattoon Railroad in 1879, forming the PD&E.  The PD&E purchased the Grayville & Mattoon Railroad in 1880, and pushed the line to Evansville, Indiana by 1881.  A short branch was built to New Harmony, Indiana in the same year.  In 1893, the PD&E acquired the Chicago & Ohio River Railroad, a line from Olney Illinois to Sidell Illinois.  However, this put the PD&E into receivership by 1894, and the C&OR was sold off in 1899.  The PD&E was acquired at auction by the Illinois Central Railroad in 1900.

Map

Built:  1870-1881
Admitted:  1900
Fate:  Most of the line from Mattoon, Illinois to Evansville, Indiana has been taken up.   From Mattoon to Peoria is still in service.
Dedicated Links:  http://www.ThePDE.info/ 

Back to the Railroads of the Illinois Central System